
On the tip of one’s tongue
快要说出口(但就是想不起来), 差一点就说出口
The name of the book is right on the tip of my tongue, but I just can’t remember it.
这本书的名字就差一点了,但我就是想不起来。
It was on the tip of my tongue to tell the truth.
我差一点就说出了真相。
Let someone out of the hook
帮助某人摆脱麻烦,使某人免于责罚
We should let him to wait for several hours before letting him out of the hook.
在帮他摆脱麻烦前,我们应该让他等几个小时。
Don’t worry, we’ll figure something out to let you out of the hook.
别担心,我们会想办法帮你摆脱麻烦的。
Burn the candle at both ends
白天夜里都在工作,过度劳累。透支体力
You must have some sleep, you can’t burn the candle at both ends.
你应该睡一觉,你不能过度劳累。
It’s never wise to burn the candle at both ends.
透支体力是不明智的。
Out of sight, out of mind
眼不见,心不烦
I’m glad of his leaving, out of sight out of mind.
我很高兴他离开,眼不见心不烦。
Suit yourself
随你便
I think it’s best to be here at 7:00, but anyway, suit yourself.
我认为最好7点到这,不过管他的,随你便。
I have to go, as for the arrangement, suit yourself.
我必须离开了,至于安排,随你便吧。
Get cold feet
临阵退缩,打退堂鼓
Frank got cold feet before the wedding started.
在婚礼开始前Frank临阵退缩了。
You can never have a good result if you get cold feet before the exam.
如果你在考试前临阵退缩了,你永远拿不到好的成绩。
,
No pains no gains
没有付出就没有回报,一分耕耘一分收获
You have to work hard because no pains no gains.
你必须努力工作,因为一分耕耘一根收获。
No pains no gains, his success today come from his hard work in the past.
没有付出就没有回报,他今天的成功离不开他过去的努力。
Hit the jackpot
中大奖,走大运
You really hit the jackpot with your girlfriend.
能交上你的女朋友,你真的是走大运了。
Passing the exam makes me feel like I hit the jackpot.
通过考试让我感觉自己中了大奖。
Rub someone the wrong way
激怒某人
I try to kiss her ass, but rub her the wrong way.
我打算拍她的马屁,但激怒了她。
Boss is back, and remember not to rub him the wrong way.
老板回来了,记得不要激怒她。
Read somebody like an open book
十分清楚某人的想法
I read you like an open book, so stop lying to me.
我十分清楚你的想法,别再跟我撒谎了。
After living together for decades, he reads his wife like an open book.
一起生活了几十年后,他对他的妻子的想法了如指掌。
Put my foot down
下定决心
Usually I would agree, but this time I’m putting my foot down against it.
通常我会同意,但这次我下定决心反对这件事。
I’m putting my foot down, don’t ever think about changing me.
我下定了决心,别再妄想改变我。
Be in the seventh heaven
欣喜若狂
You seem to be in the seventh heaven, what’s up?
你看起来欣喜若狂,发生什么事了?
I was in the seventh heaven when my girlfriend said yes.
当我的女朋友说yes时,我欣喜若狂。
A bed of roses
舒适安逸的生活
He has been living in a bed of roses since he was born.
他自从出生就过着舒适安逸的生活。
High school students always believe that university life is a bed of roses.
高中生总是相信大学生活是舒适安逸的。
Life hasn’t always been a bed of roses. It’s also filled with difficulties.
生活不总是称心如意。它还充满困难。
I remember what it’s like to be in the 20’s. It’s not a bed of rose.
我记得20年代的生活。那时并不是一直称心如意。
Even though life isn’t always a bed of roses. You should have hopes.
尽管生活不总是如意。你应该抱着希望。
Put on weight
长胖
Every time I put on a little weight, I start questioning everything.
每次我长胖一点,我就开始质疑所有的事。
I put on a lot of weight during the spring festival.
我在春节期间长胖了很多。
Sleep like a log
睡得很沉
He slept like a log after a long journey.
一场漫长的旅途之后,他睡得很沉。
He envy those people who sleep like a log.
他嫉妒那些可以睡得很沉的人。
Scratch each other’s back
相互帮助
We should scratch each other’s back during difficult time.
在困难时期我们应该互相帮助。
It’s important to scratch each other’s back in order to succeed.
为了成功,互相帮助是很重要的。
Make a mountain out of a molehill
小题大做
I just went for a walk with him, don’t make a mountain out of a molehill.
我只是和他一起走了一段,不要小题大做。
She likes to make a mountain out of a molehill.
她喜欢习题大作。
A pain in the neck
讨厌的人或事
I don’t want to be a pain in the neck, but I’ve told so many times to clean your room.
我也不想被你讨厌,但我已经跟你说过好多遍要打扫你的房间了。
I really hope Tom is not coming, because he is a pain in the neck.
我真的不希望Tom过来,因为他很讨厌。
The tip of the iceberg
冰山一角
They have a lot of problem to solve, this is only the tip of the iceberg.
他们有很多问题待解决,这还仅仅是冰山一角。
If you are interested in novels, the books on the list is simply the tip of the iceberg.
如果你对小说感兴趣,这些在列表上的书还只是冰山一角。
Save something for a rainy day
留着以防万一
You shouldn’t spend all of your money, instead you should save it for a rainy day.
你不应该不所有钱花光的,相反,你应该留着以备不时之需。
She started working part-time very early to save the money for a rainy day.
她早早的就开始做兼职,存钱以备不时之需。
Beside the point
偏离主题,不是重点
What you said just now is beside the point, I don’t want to waste my time.
你该刚说的不是重点,我不想浪费我的时间。
I know he was married before, but that’s beside the point.
我知道他结过婚,但这不是重点。




近期评论